Q. Does Carthage provide antivirus? How do I use Windows Defender?
Carthage no longer provides Symantec Endpoint Protection anti-virus. What antivirus should I use on my Windows computer? How can I set up, install, and use Windows Defender?
About Windows Security and Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Windows 10 includes Windows Security, which provides the latest antivirus protection. Your device will be actively protected from the moment you start Windows 10. Windows Security continually scans for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. In addition to this real-time protection, updates are downloaded automatically to help keep your device safe and protect it from threats (from Microsoft Support "Stay protected with Windows Security").
Windows Security is built-in to Windows 10 and includes an antivirus program called Microsoft Defender Antivirus. If you have another antivirus app installed and turned on, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will turn it off automatically. If you uninstall the other app, Microsoft Defender Antivirus will turn back on automatically (from Microsoft Support "Stay protected with Windows Security").
Remove Symantec Antivirus (or another antivirus application)
1. Click Start > Settings > Apps.
2. Scroll down to Symantec Endpoint Protection and click on it. You will be presented with an option to "Modify" or "Uninstall."
3. Uninstall the program.
4. You will be asked to restart your system for the changes made to take effect. Restart your machine.
Open Windows Security Settings
1. Click Start > Settings > Update & Security.
2. Click "Windows Security" at the left, then "Virus & threat protection" at the right.
3. In this window you will be able to run a "Quick scan" to see if there are security issues on your device. You can also "Manage settings" for virus and threat protection. You can also see when the last security scans were completed in the "Virus & threat protection updates."